Greg is the winner of May 24, 2022 Republican Primary for the Alabama Supreme Court.
Greg Cook grew up in Florence, Alabama. From an early age, his parents instilled in him faith, the value of hard work, and the importance of service. Inspired by President Ronald Reagan, it didn’t take long for Greg to discover his passion for the conservative, optimistic principles of President Reagan’s shining city on a hill.
After high school, Greg attended Duke University on an Air Force ROTC scholarship and then served our country in the Air Force, reaching the rank of Captain. In 1988, Greg was admitted to Harvard Law School where he worked on the Federalist Society’s Journal of Law and Public Policy alongside future Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch.
After finishing law school, Greg moved back to Alabama to begin practicing law in Birmingham. Over the next three decades, Greg established himself as a strong and active member of the Republican Party. In 2000, he served as volunteer attorney for the Bush vs. Gore legal battle in Florida, where Greg helped supervise the hand recounting of the famous hanging-chad ballots. Locally, Greg served on the Jefferson County Republican Steering Committee, Executive Committee, and as Legal Counsel to the Jefferson County GOP. Greg has also served on the Alabama Republican Party for almost 15 years including the past 4 years as General Counsel for the Alabama Republican Party.
During his nearly 30 years of service to the Republican Party, Greg has tried election law cases, conducted a recount and handled election disputes in numerous counties across Alabama (beginning in 1992). As general counsel, he is the party’s lead attorney and a member of the Alabama Republican Party Steering Committee. In 2020, Greg was elected as a delegate for President Trump to the Republican National Convention and selected to serve on the Credentials Committee at the convention.
Greg has been married to his wife Kimberly for 32 years. They have three children: Geoffrey, Mary Catherine, and Will. Greg and Kimberly have faithfully attended Dawson Baptist Church for the past 30 years, where Greg was ordained as a Deacon and has served as a youth Sunday School leader for over 20 years.
Greg also gives back to his community by volunteering his time with several local non-profit organizations including the United Way and the Boy Scouts including both in his local troop and as an officer for the Greater Alabama Council. He has received numerous Boy Scout awards.
- Veteran United States Air Force
- Harvard Law School (law degree, 1991): Magna cum laude; Federalist Society; Executive Editor of the Journal of Law and Public Policy (working alongside U.S. Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch)
- Duke University (undergraduate, 1984); Magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Author Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure Annotated, two-volume treatise (newest edition), originally published by Justice Champ Lyons
- Alabama Supreme Court Standing Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure
- American Bar Association: Life Fellow; Council (governing board) Section of Litigation; Chair, Class Action and Derivative Suits Committee;
- Co-Author and Co-Editor: Class Action Strategy & Practice Guide (ABA, 2018)
- Editor and Co-Author: The Class Action Fairness Act: Law and Strategy (ABA, 2013 and forthcoming 2021)
- Alabama Bar: Immediate Past Chair of the Business Torts and Antitrust Section; Bar Examiners (Subject Matter Expert); Alabama Lawyer Board of Editors
- Birmingham Bar: Life Fellow; Past Chair Civil Courts Procedure Committee; Grievance Committee
- Multiple Awards & Ratings (BTI Client Service All-Star; Best Lawyers; Martindale-Hubbell; Super Lawyers, Benchmark)
- Author of over 50 legal articles and columns
- Instructor at over 50 legal seminars over 30 years to provide continuing legal education to lawyers
DEVOTED FAMILY MAN
- Married to Kimberly B. Cook since 1988 (Vestavia Hills City Council 2016 – present; volunteer for the Mighty Alabama Strike Force in 2020; member Jefferson County Republican Party Executive Committee)
- Father to three children (two Eagle Scouts – Geoffrey and Will; one daughter, Mary Catherine, who worked for Republican Senators Lamar Alexander, Jeff Sessions and Richard Shelby)
- Long-time member Dawson Baptist Church (1991); ordained Deacon and youth Sunday School leader (20+ years)
- Long-time Boy Scout leader (Greater Alabama Council Vice President and Executive Board; multiple positions with local Troops and Packs; Silver Beaver Award; Good Shepherd Award; Order of the Arrow; Wood Badge)
Greg has been endorsed by an incredibly wide variety of groups including, but not limited to:
- Alabama Citizens for Life
- Alabama Farmers Federation
- Alabama Forestry Association
- Alabama Trucking Association
- Home Builders Association of Alabama
- Alabama Grocers Association
- Alabama Associated General Contractors
- Manufacture Alabama
- Alabama Association of Realtors
- Business Council of Alabama